Saturday, May 24, 2014

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightening Thief

Released:  2010

OVERALL RATING:  *  *  .5
(on a scale of 1 to 4 - 4 being best)

Director:  Chris Columbus
Writers:  Craig Titley (screenplay), Rick Riordan (novel)
Producers:  Michael Barnathan, Chris Columbus, Mark Radcliffe, Karen Rosenfelt
Main Actors:  Logan Lerman, Sean Bean, Pierce Brosnan, Brandon T. Jackson

Directing:  *  * 
Acting:  *  *  .5
Plot:  *  *  * 
Predictability:  *  .5
Entertainment Value:  *  *  * 
Special Effects:  *  *  * 

Oh Pierce Brosnan, why?  WHY? WHY? WHY?  I cannot undo seeing you as a Centaur.  And I REALLY wish I could.  I am still disturbed by the image.  You are so hot with the longer hair and leather, but the horse bottom??? MY EYES!!!!! THEY BURN!!!!

Okay, so... aside from my despair of Pierce's character, I thought the movie was okay.  It definitely wasn't something I'd highly recommend, but it had decent entertainment value.  I did like getting reacquainted with Greek mythology.  Memories of theater classes at W&M came flooding back to me, and the original Clash of the Titans, and Hercules - the PST show I was in a few years ago.

The effects were okay.  The monsters were pretty good and definitely frightened me (but I've been a wimp lately).  I do think they could have done a bit more with the effects, but all in all, they were solid.

The fight scenes could have used some work.  I know the actors are young, but I think they would have benefitted from Andrew Dillon's expertise.

I do recommend this movie if your looking for something entertaining, but not mentally intriguing.  Like I said, it's decent.

Favorite Scene:  Percy's first fight in the Half Blood camp and his discovery of the power he has over water.  Kinda cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment